‘Tis the season to be jolly?
How many times do
you get excited for the holidays with all the gift giving, yummy food and festive creativity that goes on only to feel like you need to escape at the first holiday get together you go to?
Your energy is drained, you get overwhelmed with the noise of all the people, all the different smells coming together and/or light flickering all over. Then you think of your warm cozy house, all quite with the fire going while reading your favourite book. How amazing!
If you resonate with some of those you may be introverted and/or highly sensitive.
Here are a few tips to help you through the holidays.
- Plan ahead and skip it if you need to.
- If you get stressed over wrapping presents, baking cookies, cleaning your house then make sure to start earlier rather than later. Start your shopping now and slowly get all your gifts together. If baking cookies seems too stressful, then skip it this year. For house cleaning, it really doesn’t have to be perfect. People are coming to see you not your clean house – plus, it’ll just get dirty all over again.
- Take things at your pace.
- If you are to arrive at an event at 7 pm and you need some extra time then go a little later. Release the need to be perfect and do things at other people’s speed.
- It’s okay to do what you need to do.
- This is so important. If you need to go to an event for only one hour then don’t stay for 4 hours. If you don’t want to attend a function or be part of a gift exchange then just let them know you are so honoured that they thought of you but you need to skip it this year. You don’t have to do anything you’re not okay with.
- Find the reasons you want to partake in something.
- Many times we go to places because you “have to”. Remember that you can choose to do the things you want (I know, “I don’t want to go to my in-laws but I have to”). If that’s the case, try to remember who it is you’re doing it for and the happiness that comes out of doing something that means so much to another person.
- Try my energy tips
- If you feel your energy drains easily, check out my tips over here: http://www.coachtessa.com/how-to-protect-your-energy/
- Remember why you like the holidays
- What is it that makes you smile? Is it marshmallows in hot chocolate? The fireplace blazing? The smell of gingerbread in the air? Try to create more of those moments than those of stress and strain. Also, be in the moment when you do them. If you’re drinking your hot chocolate then focus on that. If you mindlessly drink it then you may not really get the full effect of it.
- Pretend to be a kid again!
- Did you enjoy the holidays as a child? Watch your favourite children’s movie, colour a seasonal holiday book or get your picture taken with Santa! There’s no reason you can’t and it may just add a smile to your face.
For those celebrating Thanksgiving – I hope it is filled with love and laughter!