Have you ever had a goal of saving up enough money to go on your dream vacation, buy that new house/car or maybe just enough to buy that “to die for” outfit? (Hopefully you have – because you are worth it!!)
But…. Sometimes during the time in between waiting for something we wish our days away because of the sheer excitement of getting there. I can’t wait to go to “Italy” next month/year, I can almost buy that house I want – I wish I could sleep away my days until that day comes.
You’re not alone and it’s very common to do this because it’s exciting to reach your goal.
However, in doing that, you lose out on those days in between. You wish your life away.
So, I ask you, have you ever stopped and just enjoyed the moment you were in?
Enjoy the days in between waiting, enjoy your cup of coffee, enjoy your backyard garden, just enjoy whatever it is that is around you. I know sometimes it can seem challenging and you may be thinking that there are some cases where you just can’t enjoy the specific moment you’re in.
I’d love to offer a few tips to help enjoy your moment:
- Take a deep breath in for 7 seconds and out for 7 seconds. If you can close your eyes.
- Say a mantra such as I safe – I am calm
- Take note of the way you speak to yourself. Are you thinking negative thoughts? Such as why do I always have to wait in line when I’m already late. Instead try, There is nothing I can do about this wait – I am in this situation and there’s nothing I can do about it (if there is something you can do then do that). So, since I’m already here how can I take advantage of this time. Can you learn something, write in a journal, check out your phone and reach out to a friend, chat to the person next to you and make their day.
- If you’re not having the greatest of days, find the message in it and know that tomorrow is another day.
- Don’t judge or criticize your thoughts. If you start saying something mean or negative then just stop the thought and don’t follow it into a pattern. For example, if you are standing in line you may get irritated and think I wish I was already at home…. Why do I have to stand here for so long…… What are they doing to cause such a slow line…… Etc. Instead think – I wish I was at already at home… Why do I have to stand here for so long….. What are….. Oh, wait I’m doing it again…. That’s okay…. Center yourself and ask what message you are supposed to receive or refocus and just observe the things around you. By doing this, it can allow you to just enjoy time more often.
I would like to be clear here. You can get excited about achieving your goals (it’s exciting!). You can have bad days. You are allowed to feel. But try your best to enjoy each moment you have as best you can so that your not waiting your life away.
“Life is not made up of minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, or years, but of moments. You must experience each one before you can appreciate it.”
–Sarah Ban Breathnach