As you look back on your life do you remember putting on different masks? Take on different personalities? Trying to fit in?
This can be totally normal as a teenager as you are trying to find yourself and where you belong.
Some though can get lost in trying to fit in or get forced at some point to become someone we don’t want to be in order to survive.
This can be the case for many people that are introverted and highly sensitive.
The need to fit in, be outgoing, extroverted and “toughen up” can be very overwhelming and anxiety producing to many of us.
At one point we may have needed to mask, but is it time for you to take them all off?
Are you ready to find yourself, reduce the overwhelm and learn how to deal with the anxieties?
Here are a few steps:
- Learn to forgive.
- When we had those masks on we may have done some things we are not proud of now or that we really didn’t want to do but did it to fit in. You cannot change anything in the past so give yourself a break and forgive yourself. This may not come all in one day but slowly over time keep telling yourself that you are going to let go of the past and focus on the person you want to be in the future.
- Become a Student of your life.
- Find out more about who you are. That could be through tests, such as Myer’s-Briggs, books, E-Course or maybe a lecture. For some it may just be meditation or journaling for now. Keep moving forward and figure out your strengths, challenges and values. The more we understand ourselves and bring ourselves into our conscious minds, the better we can truly embrace and love that person.
- Know that you are amazing just as you are.
- Take off the mask and understand that who you truly are is amazing. Always strive to be the best version of yourself. The best version may be different each day depending on the circumstances so take it one day at a time. Let your light shine!
In summary, know that you don’t have to “fit in” the way we always thought we had to. You can be yourself and still belong in this world just as you are.
Until Next time,
Search your soul. Find Yourself. Live authentically.